- Dangar, S., & Mishra, V. (2021). Natural and anthropogenic drivers of the lost groundwater from the Ganga river basin. Environmental Research Letters. Link
- Dangar, S., Asoka A., & Mishra, V. (2021). Causes and implications of groundwater depletion in India: A review. Journal of Hydrology Link
- Kushwaha, A. P., Tiwari, A. D., Dangar, S., Shah, H., Mahto, S. S., & Mishra, V. (2021). Multimodel assessment of water budget in Indian sub-continental river basins. Journal of Hydrology Link
- A. Shah, A. Garg, V. Mishra (2021).Quantifying the local cooling effects of urban green spaces: Evidence from Bengaluru, India, Landscape and Urban Planning Link
- AD Tiwari., P. Mukhopadhyay, V. Mishra, (2021). Influence of bias correction of meteorological and streamflow forecast on hydrological prediction in India, Journal of Hydrometeorology Link
- V. Mishra, Aadhar S., SS Mahato (2021). Anthropogenic warming and intraseasonal summer monsoon variability amplify the risk of future flash droughts in India, npj Climate and Atmospheric Science Link
- Aadhar S., V. Mishra, (2020). On the occurrence of the worst drought in South Asia in the observed and future climate, Environmental Research Letters Link
- D. Shah, V. Mishra, (2020). Strong Influence of Changes in Terrestrial Water Storage on Flood Potential in India, Journal of Geophysical Research Atmospheres Link
- V. Mishra, Aadhar S. (2020). Discussion of "Multivariate Modeling of Projected Drought Frequency and Hazard over India" by Vimal Mishra, Journal of Hydrologic Engineering Link
- S. Huang, HL Shah, BS Naz, N. Shrestha, V. Mishra, P. Daggupati, U. Ghimire, T. Vetter (2020). Impacts of hydrological model calibration on projected hydrological changes under climate change—a multi-model assessment in three large river basins, Climate Change Link
- Ambika A., V. Mishra, (2020). Substantial decline in atmospheric aridity due to irrigation in India, Environmental Research Letters Link
- Kumar R. V. Mishra, (2020). Increase in population exposure due to dry and wet extremes in India under a warming climate, Earth's Future Link
- Bharadwaj K., Aadhar S., V Mishra, Shah D. (2020). Propagation of meteorological to hydrological droughts in India, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmosphere Link
- V. Mishra, Ambika A., Asoka A., Aadhar S., Buzan J., Kumar R., Huber M. (2020). Moist heat stress extremes in India enhanced by irrigation, Nature Geoscience Link
- V. Mishra, Bhatia, U., Tiwari A.D. (2020). Bias-corrected climate projections for South Asia from Coupled Model Intercomparison Project-6, Scientific Data Link
- Aadhar, S., V Mishra (2020). On the projected decline in droughts over South Asia in CMIP6 multimodel ensemble, Journal of Geophysical Research Atmospheres Link
- S. Bharat, V Mishra (2020). Runoff sensitivity of Indian sub-continental river basins, Science of The Total Environment Link
- S Huang, HL Shah , BS Naz,N Shrestha, V Mishra , P Daggupati, U Ghimire, T Vetter (2020). Impacts of hydrological model calibration on projected hydrological changes under climate change—a multi-model assessment in three large river basins, Climate Change Link
- A. Asoka, V Mishra (2020). A strong linkage between seasonal crop growth and groundwater storage variability in India, Journal of Hydrometeorology Link
- V. Mishra, HL Shah , MR Lopez, A Lobanova, V Krysanova (2020). Does comprehensive evaluation of hydrological models influence projected changes of mean and high flows in the Godavari River basin?, Climate change Link
- V. Mishra (2020). Relative Contribution of Precipitation and Air Temperature on Dry Season Drying in India, 1951–2018, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmosphere Link
- D. Shah, V Mishra (2020). Drought onset and termination in India, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmosphere Link
- V Moron, R Barbero, H J Fowler, V Mishra (2020). Storm types in India: linking rainfall duration, spatial extent and intensity, Philosophical transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series A: Mathematical and physical sciences Link
- Mahto SS., V Mishra (2020). Dominance of summer monsoon flash droughts in India, Environmental Research Letters Link
- RA Richardson, Sam Harper, S Weichenthal, A Nandi, V Mishra , Prabhat Jha (2020). Extremes in water availability and suicide: evidence from a nationally representative sample of rural Indian adults, Environmental Research Link
- V Mishra , U Bhatia, Tiwari A.D. (2020). Bias-corrected climate projections from Coupled Model Intercomparison Project-6 (CMIP6) for South Asia, arXiv:2006.12976 Link
- A Asoka, V Mishra (2020). Anthropogenic and climate contributions on the changes in terrestrial water storage in India, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmosphere Link
- JS Nanditha, KVD Wiel, U Bhatia, D Stone, F Selton, V Mishra (2020). A seven-fold rise in the probability of exceeding the observed hottest summer in India in a 2 °C warmer world, Environmental Research Letters Link
- V Mishra , K Thirumalai, D Singh, S Aadhar (2020). Future exacerbation of hot and dry summer monsoon extremes in India, npj Climate and Atmospheric Science. Link
- S Aadhar, V Mishra. (2020). Increased drought risk in South Asia under warming climate: Implications of uncertainty in potential evapotranspiration estimates, Journal of Hydrometeorology. Link
- R Singh, V Mishra , B Narasimhan, S Ghosh, A Sharma, S Dutta, PP Mujumdar. (2020). Hydrological Modeling in India, Proc Indian Natn Sci Acad. Link
- Mishra V. (2020). Long-term (1870–2018) drought reconstruction in context of surface water security in India. Journal of Hydrology. Link
- D shah, V Mishra. (2019). Integrated Drought Index (IDI) for Drought Monitoring and Assessment in India, Water Resources Research. Link
- HL Shah, T Zhou, N Sun, M Huang, V Mishra. (2019). Roles of irrigation and reservoir operations in modulating terrestrial water and energy budgets in the Indian sub‐continental river basins. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres. Link
- R Barbero, H Fowler, S Blenkinshop, S Westra, V Moron, E Lewis, S Chan, G Lenderink, E Kendon, S Guerreiro, X Li, R Villalobos, H ali, V Mishra (2019). A synthesis of hourly and daily precipitation extremes in different climatic regions. Link
- Meghwal, R.,Shah D.,Mishra V. (2019). On the Changes in Groundwater Storage Variability in Western India Using GRACE and Well Observations. Remote Sensing in Earth Systems Sciences. Link
- Garg, S. & Mishra, V. (2019). Role of Extreme Precipitation and Initial Hydrologic Conditions on Floods in Godavari River Basin, India. Water Resources Research. Link
- Ambika, A., Mishra, V. (2019). Observational Evidence of Irrigation Influence on Vegetation Health and Land Surface Temperature in India. Geophysical Research Letters. Link
- Aadhar S., Mishra V. (2019). A substantial rise in the area and population affected by dryness in South Asia under 1.5 °C, 2.0 °C and 2.5 °C warmer worlds.
Environmental Research Letters. Link
- Mahto SS., Mishra V. (2019). Does ERA‐5 Outperform Other Reanalysis Products for Hydrologic Applications in India?. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres. Link
- Ali H.,Modi P., Mishra V. (2019). Increased flood risk in Indian sub-continent under the warming climate. Weather and Climate Extremes. Link
- Tiwari AD., Mishra V. (2019). Prediction of Reservoir Storage Anomalies in India. JGR Atmospheres. Link
- Mishra, V., AD Tiwari, S Aadhar, R Shah, M Xiao, DS Pai, D Lettenmaier. (2019). Drought and famine in India, 1870‐2016. Geophysical Research Letters. Link
- HL Shah, T Zhou, M Huang, V Mishra. (2019). Strong influence of irrigation on water budget and land surface temperature in Indian sub‐continental river basins. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres. Link
- V Mishra, A Asoka, K Vatta, U Lall.(2018). Groundwater Depletion and Associated CO2 Emissions in India. Earth's Future. Link
- Mukherjee, S. & Mishra, V. (2018). A sixfold rise in concurrent day and night-time heatwaves in India under 2° C warming. Scientific reports. Link
- Ali, H., Fowler, H. J. & Mishra, V. (2018). Global observational evidence of strong linkage between dew point temperature and precipitation extremes. Geophysical Research Letters. Link
- Mishra, V., Asoka, A., Vatta, K. & Lall, U. (2018). Groundwater depletion and associated CO2 emissions in India. Earth's Future. Link
- Mishra, V. & Shah, H.L. (2018). Hydroclimatological Perspective of the Kerala Flood of 2018. Journal of the Geological Society of India. Link
- Ali, S. A., Aadhar, S., Shah, H. L. & Mishra, V. (2018). Projected Increase in Hydropower Production in India under Climate Change. Scientific Reports. Link
- Ali, H. & Mishra, V. (2018). Increase in sub-daily precipitation extremes in India under 1.5 and 2.0° C warming worlds. Geophysical Research Letters. Link
- S. Blenkinsop, H. J. Fowler, R. Barbero, S. C. Chan, S. B. Guerreiro, E. Kendon, G. Lenderink, E. Lewis, Xiao-Feng Li, S. Westra, L. Alexander, R. P. Allan, P. Berg, R. J. H. Dunn, M. Ekström, J. P. Evans, G. Holland, R. Jones, E. Kjellström, A. Klein-Tank, D. Lettenmaier, V. Mishra, A. F. Prein, J. Sheffield, & M. R. Tye (2018). The INTENSE project: using observations and models to understand the past, present and future of sub-daily rainfall extremes. Advances in Science and Research, 15 (2018): 117-126. Link
- Asoka, A., Wada, Y., Fishman, R., & Mishra, V. (2018). Strong linkage between precipitation intensity and monsoon season groundwater recharge in India. Geophysical Research Letters, 45. Link
- Mishra, V., Shah, R., Azhar, S., Shah, H., Modi, P., & Kumar, R. (2018). Reconstruction of droughts in India using multiple land-surface models (1951–2015). Hydrology and Earth System Sciences. 22(4), 2269. Link
- Mukherjee, S., Aadhar, S., Stone, D., & Mishra, V. (2018). Increase in extreme precipitation events under anthropogenic warming in India. Weather and Climate Extremes. Link
- Ali, H. & Mishra, V. (2018). Contributions of dynamic and thermodynamic scaling in subdaily precipitation extremes in India. Geophysical Research Letters, 45(5), 2352-2361. Link
- Aadhar, S., V. Mishra, 2017. High-resolution near real-time drought monitoring in South Asia, Scientific Data. Link
- Kumar, R., V. Mishra, J. Buzan, R. Kumar, D. Shindell, and M. Huber, 2017. Dominant control of agriculture and irrigation on urban heat island in India. Nature Scientific Reports7(1), 14054. Link
- Mishra, V., S. Mukherjee, R. Kumar, and D. Stone, 2017. Heat wave exposure in India in
current, 1.5 oC, and 2.0 oC worlds. Environmental Research Letters12(12), 124012. Link
- Valentina Krysanova, Tobias Vetter, Stephanie Eisner, Shaochun Huang, Ilias Pechlivanidis,
Michael Strauch, Alexander Gelfan, Rohini Kumar, Valentin Aich, Berit Arheimer,Alejandro
Chamorro, Ann van Griensven, Dipangkar Kundu, Anastasia Lobanova, Vimal Mishra, Stefan
Plötner, Julia Reinhardt, Ousmane Seidou, Xiaoyan Wang, Michel Wortmann, Xiaofan Zeng and
Fred F Hattermann, 2017. Intercomparison of regional-scale hydrological models and climate
change impacts projected for 12 large river basins worldwide - a synthesis. Environmetal Research Letters, 12(10), 105002. Link
- Ali, H. & Mishra, V. (2017). Contrasting response of rainfall extremes to increase in surface air and dewpoint temperatures at urban locations in India”. Scientific Reports, 7(1), 1228. Link
- Van Loon, A. F., Kumar, R., & Mishra, V. (2017). Testing the use of standardised indices and GRACE satellite data to estimate the European 2015 groundwater drought in near-real time. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 21(4), 1947. Link
- Eisner, S., Flörke, M., Chamorro, A., Daggupati, P., Donnelly, C., Huang, J., Hundecha, Y., Koch, H., Kalugin, A., Krylenko, I. and Mishra, V (2017). An ensemble analysis of climate change impacts on streamflow seasonality across 11 large river basins. Climatic Change, 141(3), 401-417. Link
- Asoka, A., Gleeson, T., Wada, Y., & Mishra, V. (2017). Relative contribution of monsoon precipitation and pumping to changes in groundwater storage in India. Nature Geoscience, 10(2), 109-117. Link
Sahai, Atul Kumar and Mishra,
“Short to sub-seasonal hydrologic forecast to manage water and
agricultural resources in India”, Hydrology
and Earth System Sciences,
vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 707-720, Feb. 2017.
Samaniego; S. Eisner; and T. Yang; "Multimodel
assessment of sensitivity and uncertainty of evapotranspiration and
proxy for availabe water resources under climate change",
B. Wardlow, and V.
(2016), Remotely sensed high resolution irrigated area mapping in
India for 2000 to 2015. Scientific , DOI: 10.1038/sdata.2016.118.
V., S. Aadhar, A. Akarsh, S.
Pai, and R. Kumar (2016), On the frequency of the 2015 monsoon
season drought in the Indo-Gangetic Plain, Geophys.
L.; Kumar, R.; Breuer, L.; Chamorro, A.; Flörke, M.; Pechlivanidis,
I. G.; Schäfer, D.; Shah,
Vetter, T.; Wortmann, M. and Zeng, X., “Propagation of forcing and
model uncertainties on to hydrological drought characteristics in a
multi-model century-long experiment in large river basins”,
Harsh L. and
changes in Indian sub-continental river basins (1901-2012)",
R., V., Mishra,
and A. Garg (2016). Climate change in Madhya Pradesh:
Indicators, Impacts and Adaptation. WP-2016-05-05, IIMA
Shah, R. D., & Mishra, V. (2016). Utility of Global Ensemble Forecast System (GEFS) Reforecast for Medium-Range Drought Prediction in India. Journal of Hydrometeorology, 17(6), 1781-1800.
Mallya, G., Mishra, V., Niyogi, D., Tripathi, S., & Govindaraju, R. S. (2016). Trends and variability of droughts over the Indian monsoon region. Weather and Climate Extremes, 12, 43-68.
V., and Lilhare, R, 2016:
Sensitivity of Indian sub-continental River Basins to Climate
and Planetary Change, DOI: 10.1016/j.gloplacha.2016.01.003.
2015: Uncertainty and Bias in Satellite-based Precipitation
Estimates over Indian Sub-continental Basins: Implications for
Real-time Streamflow Simulation and Flood Prediction.
(doi:10.1175/JHM-D-15-0115.1, Journal of Hydrometeorology, in
A., Garg (2015). Predicted increases in heat related mortality under
climate change in urban India. WP-2015-05-02, IIMA working
A., and Mishra, V. (2015). Prediction
of vegetation anomalies to improve food security and water
management in India.
Research Letters 06/2015; DOI:10.1002/2015GL063991.
Mishra, V. (2015). Climatic uncertainty in Himalayan water towers. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 120(7), 2689-2705.
A.R., Ganguly, B., NIjssen, and D.P. Lettenmaier (2015). Changes in
observed climate extremes in global urban areas. Environ.
Development of an Experimental Near-Real Time Drought Monitor for
India. J. Hydrometeor., 16, 327-345. doi:
top 10 most read JHM articles in previous 12 months for
H., Mishra. V.,
and D., Pai, (2014) .Observed and Projected Urban Extreme
Precipitation Events in India. JGR: Atmospheres, Volume
119, Issue 22, 621-641, doi: 10.1002/2014JD022264.
Kumar, D., Mishra, V., & Ganguly, A. R. (2015). Evaluating wind extremes in CMIP5 climate models. Climate Dynamics, 45(1-2), 441-453.4JD022650/full
Mishra, V., Shah, R., & Thrasher, B. (2014). Soil moisture droughts under the retrospective and projected climate in India. Journal of Hydrometeorology, 15(6), 2267-2292.
Mishra, V., Kumar, D., Ganguly, A. R., Sanjay, J., Mujumdar, M., Krishnan, R., & Shah, R. D. (2014). Reliability of regional and global climate models to simulate precipitation extremes over India. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 119(15), 9301-9323.
Kannan, S., Ghosh, S., Mishra, V., & Salvi, K. (2014). Uncertainty resulting from multiple data usage in statistical downscaling. Geophysical Research Letters, 41(11), 4013-4019.
2014: Evaluation of the Reanalysis Products for the Monsoon Season
Droughts in India. J.
as amongst the top 10 most read JHM articles in the last 12 months,
as on March, 2015).
Livneh, Eric A. Rosenberg, Chiyu Lin, Bart Nijssen, Vimal
Kostas M. Andreadis, Edwin P. Maurer, and Dennis P. Lettenmaier,
2013: A Long-Term Hydrologically Based Dataset of Land Surface
Fluxes and States for the Conterminous United States: Update and
C., ErkanIstanbulluoglu, Vimal
Francisco Munoz-Arriola and Dennis P. Lettenmaier (2013), Are
climatic or land cover changes the dominant cause of runoff trends
in the Upper Mississippi River Basin? Geophysical Research
Letters (DOI: 10.1002/grl.50262, Received Highlight in Nature)
F. Dominguez, and D. P. Lettenmaier (2012a), Urban
precipitation extremes: how reliable are the regional climate
doi:10.1029/2011GL050658 (AGU’s most popular paper, highlighted in
V. Smoliak, D. P. Lettenmaier, J. M. Wallace (2012b), A
Prominent Pattern of Year-to-Year Variability in Indian Summer
Monsoon Rainfall, Proceedings
of National Academy of Sciences (PNAS),
M. Wallace, D. P. Lettenmaier (2012c). Relationshipbetween
hourly precipitation extremes and local air temperature in the
United States, (in press Geophysical
D. P. Lettenmaier (2011), Climatic
trends in major U.S. urban areas, 1950–2009, Geophysical
38, 8 PP., doi:201110.1029/2011GL048255 (AGU’s most popular
and K. A. Cherkauer (2010), Retrospective
droughts in the crop growing season: Implications to corn and
soybean yield in the Midwestern United States, Agricultural
and Forest Meteorology,
150(7-8), 1030–1045 (Wide Media Coverage)
and K. A. Cherkauer (2011), Influence
of cold season climate variability on lakes and wetlands in the
Great Lakes region, Journal
of Geophysical Research,
K. A. Cherkauer, and L. C. Bowling (2011a), Changing
thermal dynamics of lakes in the Great Lakes region: Role of ice
cover feedbacks, Global
and Planetary Change,
Cherkauer, K.A., Bowling, L.C., Huber, M., 2011b. Lake Ice phenology
of small lakes: Impacts of climate variability in the Great Lakes
region. Glob. Planet. Change 76, 166–185.[IF:3.15, Citations: 6]
Cherkauer, K.A., 2010. Retrospective droughts in the crop growing
season: Implications to corn and soybean yield in the Midwestern
United States. Agric. For. Meteorol. 150, 1030–1045. [IF:3.42,
Citations: 19] [Wide Media Coverage]
K. Cherkauer and L. Bowling, 2010: Are small lakes becoming ice free
in the Great Lakes Region, Bulletin of the American Meteorological
Society v. 91 no. 7[IF: 7.22, Citations: 0]
K. A. Cherkauer, and L. C. Bowling (2010a), Parameterization
of Lakes and Wetlands for Energy and Water Balance Studies in the
Great Lakes Region, Journal
A. Cherkauer, D. Niyogi, M. Lei, B. C. Pijanowski, D. K. Ray, L. C.
Bowling, and G. Yang (2010b), A
regional scale assessment of land use/land cover and climatic
changes on water and energy cycle in the upper Midwest United
Journal of Climatology,
K. A. Cherkauer, and S. Shukla (2010c), Assessment
of drought due to historic climate variability and projected future
climate change in the Midwestern United States, Journal
T., K.A. Cherkauer, and V. Mishra(2010). Impacts
of historic climate variability on seasonal soil frost in the
Midwestern United States. Journal
of Hydrometeorology ,
C. M., C. R. Nichols, M. J. Montes, R.-R. Li, P. Woodward, R. A.
Fusina, W. Chen, V.
W. Kim, J. Monty, K. McIlhany, K. Kessler, D. Korwan, W. D. Miller,
E. Bennert, G. Smith, D. Gillis, J. Sellars, C. Parrish, A.
Schwarzschild, and B. Truitt (2009). Retrieval
of substrate bearing strength from hyperspectral imagery during the
Virginia Coast Reserve (VCR07) Multi-Sensor Campaign. Marine
Geodesy , 33, 101
J., V. Mishra,
R., Peters (2006). Flow
analysis with WaSiM-ETH; model parameter sensitivity at different
in Geosciences ,
Mohammad, G., & Vimal, M. (2004). Design and computation of conveyance losses in lined water conveyance systems at Caet, Etawah. New Agriculturist, 15(1/2), 97-100.